CBD (Cannabidiol) by law is required to be extremely low (1%) in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is the psychoactive active compound found in what most people would consider the marijuana plant, hemp is the male counterpart with low amounts of THC. Both of which stem from the family name of “cannabis” and are known to be the two most recognizable cannabinoids found in the plant. In 2003, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services wrote patents on some of the cannabinoid molecules found in hemp, referring to them as “antioxidants and neuroprotectants.” This is the contradiction to the current classification of the compounds which rationally just makes no sense. If the government filed multiple patents around these compound uses why is it still illegal? Politics.
CBD oil has gained national attention due to the amazing emergence of their positive neuroprotective impact on little Charlotte Figi’s life.
Since 2014 only imported hemp was legal in the U.S. making America the largest importer of hemp products in the world, mostly from China, Canada and Europe. Only recently have wee seen an increase of American grown industrial hemp farms and their production. The U.S. was mainly known for their cultivation of marijuana (cannabis plants with high THC), but due to the high demand of CBD products like CBD oil we are seeing a rapid increase in these farms.
Ways of finding CBD products
It is legal to import Cannabidiol from hemp stalks and seeds. Imported CBD taken from the hemp flower is not in compliance with current importation, due to the levels of THC found still in the flower. It’s best to make sure whoever is supplying this CBD has the proper paperwork, including lab results to show you exactly what’s in your extract.
B) Get it from medical marijuana states:
CBD oil from cannabis can be acquired in a state with a legal medical marijuana program. This CBD cannot move across state lines. As a controlled substance, it is limited to only those residents in that state. Again with using CBD oil extracted from the cannabis (marijuana) plant it has higher trace amounts of THC, which is why it is deemed illegal when crossing state lines.
C) Producers and sellers:
The best way to get CBD or CBD oil in the US nationally is from a legal hemp company in a state that is fully compliant. You can find sellers online like Kalm Kanna or at some holistic shops even. To get authentic cannabidiol you should always make sure they offer lab reports that show what is in the product. You want to make sure the quality of CBD is what they advertise as well as if there are any toxins or impurities in it.
How Kalm Kanna’s CBD is legal:
We source CBD from our organic hemp farm in Colorado which is taken from the stalk and then extracted. Leaving us with pure CBD Isolate that is 99% pure CBD with less than .1% THC. We then only use fractioned coconut oil as a chain triglyceride to mix the isolate and help your body quickly absorb the cannabidiol and give you next to immediate relief.
CBD oil legal timeline pre 2014
- All cannabis the DEA list as a Schedule 1 drug agricultural commodity (i.e., food).
- Hemp imports of material sourced from stalk and seed only without having the hemp flower.
- U.S. Farm Bill (Section 7606) creates a federal regulatory structure that provides a federally legal setup for low-THC hemp production.
- U.S. Agricultural Appropriations Bill contains an amendment allowing for the movement of hemp across state lines.
- Congress passes the Omnibus Act, which further protects hemp product suppliers by preventing federal monies from being spent to “prohibit the transportation, processing, sale or use of industrial hemp that is grown or cultivated in accordance with” Section 7606 of the U.S. Farm Bill.
- The USDA with the DEA/DOJ and FDA release a Statement of Principles that signify the federal acceptance of hemp.
- NIFA, part of the U.S.D.A., announces that it will accept hemp-related projects for funding grants.
- The 2017 Omnibus Spending Bill passes, including previous hemp language and clearly articulating state/international line transportation.
Kalm Kanna shall not be held liable for the medical claims made by customer testimonials. The statements made regarding these products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of these products and the testimonials made have not been confirmed by FDA- approved research. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. All information presented here is not meant as a substitute for or alternative to information from health care practitioners. Please consult your health care professional about potential interactions or other possible complications before using any product. The Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act requires this notice.